Friday, September 30, 2011

My Assignment Is Sent

As mentioned, here is a 'copy-and-paste' of the story I mailed in for my 3rd assignment. I had originally thought it up for a "Flash Fiction" contest while on BookRix.com and have added to it. So, without further ado, I present "Zombie Adversary":


Zombie Adversary



     This can’t be happening. I have spent the last three days trying to get away from the mindless hoards of zombies chasing me, but every time I think there’s a chance to rest, to breathe, more seem to seep out of the crumbling buildings surrounding me. I need to find a place to stop, and most especially something to eat. I can feel my strength ebbing. The occasional fountains I found that still had potable water did little to assuage the grumbling hunger pains.
     There’s an open door, have to get higher to see if the way is clear. It’s dark in here. I just have to rest for a moment. I start up the stairs and hear the door I just forced closed splintering under their attack. Scraping of shattered wood and crunching of broken glass trod under their feet echoes up to me as I ascend the stairs. I’m on the second floor now. There; a ladder, leading to the roof perhaps. Struggling with the latch, I find it is not going to open. That means I have to find my way back down to the street and find another way.
    I can’t afford the time to try and find another building to explore. I need to find somewhere with food as well as a place to hide. I could try to get into an abandoned apartment, maybe there would be something left behind from the evacuation last month; something that hasn’t spoiled yet.
     I remember having seen a grocery store about a mile back. I’m going to try to make it there. It may have been gutted, but there could be something there to eat. It is worth a chance. OK, I must be careful, as I can hear their groaning all around me. It seems they can sense where I am, maybe they can smell me, I don’t know for sure, but at least I am still faster than they are. I won’t be for much longer unless I find nourishment and rest.
     I’m having to skirt around a different way to backtrack. Can’t just go back the way I came; they are probably still there, shambling their way after me. I am hoping that means all of them will be past the store by the time I make it there.
     I have made my way through back streets and alleys. I can still hear them following. So far I have been able to keep out of their sight. How do they know where I am?
     I think I’m almost there. If I have my bearings right, it should be right around the corner. Yes, there it is. I can make it if I’m careful. I cannot stay in this alley too much longer, have to make a run for it.
     No! I’m in the middle of the street, and they are coming from everywhere. All around me. What the hell am I going to do now? I don’t have any weapons, I’ve just been avoiding them and running away. There’s no way I can fight them all off, especially not as hungry and tired as I am.  

     Oh, crap! They are too close! Grabbing me and wanting to get at my skin with their gnashing teeth as they try to bite me. I shove several of them back off me, they stumble and almost fall. There must be near a hundred now and more just keep coming.  I fight and punch at them, but it doesn’t faze them. One has a hold of my arm! “AAAGGGHHH!!!” Son of a bitch bit me! Doggone it!
    I did it. I finally got away from them. It was not easy, had to duck and dodge, crawl and roll under them. The blood from the bite actually helped by making my skin slick enough they couldn’t keep hold. Man, this bite hurts. Gotta wrap it up to try to stop the bleeding. Damn, that hurts!
     I’m feeling dizzy, can’t focus my eyes. My head and body ache and my muscles are so sore. What’s going on? Oh, great, I think I know. The bite. The movies must have been right. Now, I’m going to turn into one of them. I refuse to go around eating other people, I don’t care how hungry I am. I have to hold on to whatever memories I can, have to fight this…
     Can’t move good. Just slide my feet. Must be zombie now. Others just walk by. I walk into group. Can push this one into alley. Alone now. Grab head and pull off. Easy. Can do this all day. Take bite, so hungry. Yuck; dry, powdery. Better this than people. Go find more zombies.
     Have killed bunch. Not many left. Dry skin and blood not help hunger much.
     Another group, they have person. One bite the leg, but person free, running to me. Will change anyway, I hunger more. Catch person, bite neck, finish what others start. Fresh meat, hot blood, soooo good. Have strength, get more zombies.
     Big group there. Shuffle to catch. Blade found chop better than rip with hands, faster. Chop one, other see, chop that too. Chop all, they fall, no blood. Try eat, dry but solid. Bite more, chew, swallow. No taste good, just fill stomach.
     So many dead zombie bodies around. They see I kill, they try kill me, I kill them. Look for more.
     Ahead, humans. Smell so good. So hungry still. No zombies. People food too, better food. Hot food. They yell, but I need eat. See gun pointing at me. Puff of smoke. Hit in chest, no hurt. More smoke. Arm gone. Person next to me. See gun in face. See pull trigger… 


 Well, Hope you enjoyed that. Post a comment to show how much you care and I might be persuaded to put up something else. Otherwise, my ramblings as shown previously will continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment